HOW TO GET STARTED IN FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE & AVOID PRACTITIONER BURNOUT
Let’s reveal how you augment your skills to start your successful functional medicine career. Having personally mentored physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants it is apparent that there exists desire to learn and apply functional medicine in practice. Most health care practitioners are burnt out.
There are three main causes of health care practitioner burnout:
- Lack of desired lifestyle (includes family time, being reimbursed for work we do),
- Lack of patient practitioner time (includes drowning in paperwork such as pharmacy requests, prior authorizations, taking work home to finish charting), and
- Lack of personal growth (stuck in clinic without growth potential, stuck in 9-5 and often longer without having time for personal interests and hobbies to pursue).
If you have a background in health and want to be part of this healthcare revolution and paradigm shift and below are listed the most important skills you must master in order to successfully:
Top Skills You Must Master :
- Communication: This is key as we are often dealing with behavioral changes. This in addition to effectively review lab results and place them in the context of the patient’s symptoms is paramount. The better the communication the better the compliance and outcome.
- Effectively review lab results and properly suggest treatment either pharmaceutically or supplement wise is key.
- Having a foundational model to apply with your clients that gets the patient started on their own functional medicine journey is key.
- Learning that especially as health-care practitioners we also must act as their coaches, their mentors is key. This goes back to being an effective communicator.
- Understanding the implications and physiology behind some of the recommended lab and results we use
- Practice what you preach. We must be effective role models for health while also respecting our clients’ individual needs and wishes. We cannot be hypocrites.
- The ability to manage others. The way we are teaching functional medicine you can successfully run your own practice, order labs as you will have so much more extra time.
- Learning and applying successful standard operating protocols that essentially automate the business.
- Inspiring others around you that more is possible which will successfully reflect in your personal as well as professional life.
- Applying nutrition successfully in practice. This can be either achieved via personalized nutritional testing and/or via a certified nutritionist. I often prefer elimination diets combined with personalized nutritional testing if needed or if so desired.
If I would select of these 10 three main skills that are non-negotiable they would be
1) effective communication,
2) clinical skills that allows you to help your patients and
3) robust business system and model that guarantees your survival.
TEACHING WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE
So that you may learn these skills here at the KADAN Institute we have developed our own training program courses which helps you to successfully acquire these skills.. We have two courses, the KADAN Institute The Art Of Functional Medicine and the Foundational Gut Course. These are effective starting points.
In addition, I also recommend the Institute For Functional Medicine’s curriculum to get even more of the academic understanding and science behind functional medicine.
In addition, after completion of our courses, we also offer potential ongoing monthly mentoring as you get started with your own clients.
GET AHEAD OF THE GAME WITH THE LATEST IN FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE TRAINING
Functional Medicine and medicine in general is always evolving. Therefore, in addition of the skills mentioned it is important to master functional medicine theoretically, academically and scientifically as well as be able to apply functional medicine with your patient Monday morning.
This is one of the benefits of KADAN methodology as we help you to a) get clinical academic knowledge as well as how to apply this in a business setting that helps you to get started in your functional medicine career.
Most important for your own career is to get started doing functional medicine. You want to get started with patients that are easy to start with and we teach that to you as part of our program.
Many practitioners by the end of the 10 week program have successfully enrolled 2-3 patients which already guaranteed them their return of investment.
The whole purpose is to show you and teach you an easy way to get started in your own successful virtual functional medicine practice.
Across the globe functional medicine is experiencing rapid growth and expansion. Be part of this revolution.
Step into your new comfort zone today.
Ready To Get Started?